Summer Accelerator: 2013 Wrapped
Sign Up for Info on Future Sessions
If you have a big vision, a smart team and the drive to create something meaningful – join Mix & Stir’s summer accelerator, housed in one of the top design schools in the country.
We’re interested in startups that address real customer needs, target a large reachable market, and deliver benefits through scalable technology. We’ll work with first-time entrepreneurs as long as you understand the value of design, embrace an agile process and are ready to work hard, fast and smart.
Our world class mentors include experts in design, business, behavioral science and technology. These are not figure heads – they actively work with our startups throughout the session. In addition, we have in-house designers who can join your team as needed.
Startups who successfully complete the summer session can continue to access our advisory services and network of mentors throughout the year.
- Eric Persha, Co-Founder, Mosey / Mix & Stir Alumni 2012
The 8 week summer session (June 3 through July 26) is free to accepted startups. Specific benefits include:
- a great studio space on the California College of the Arts, San Francisco campus in the heart of the Potrero Hill neighborhood
- guidance and structure using a proven model for creating design-driven startups
- pre-screened legal, operations and HR assistance
- mentoring and direction on funding strategies, including crowdfunding
- social events and pitch sessions throughout the summer
- access to potential clients, sponsors and investors
- support from in house UI/UX design talent
- technical mentorship to help build and scale the backend
- regular interaction with a large network of highly experienced design, technology, and business mentors
- hands-on assistance to refine your concept, develop customer insights, create a powerful brand presence and develop a go-to-market strategy
Your concept | The problem you intend to solve | Where you are in the effort | How you plan to make money | Team Names & Info
Other than that, how you tell your story is up to you.
Mail your pitch to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll acknowledge receipt and schedule an in-person meeting. Acceptances will be made on a rolling basis through mid May.
Apply early to secure your space.
Who can apply?
The ideal team includes a design lead, a technical lead, and a business lead. But we’ve worked successfully with other combinations. Most importantly, we need to see someone on the team who’s a “pusher” – passionate, driven, borderline unrealistic but still sane.
Do I need an idea or concept to apply?
Yes – the idea doesn’t need to be fully fleshed out, but it should be detailed enough to capture our attention. If you already have an MVP or demo – even better.
What’s the application deadline?
We’re reviewing applications as they are submitted and will continue until we’ve reached our limit. Submit as quickly as possible.
How many teams will be chosen?
We are anticipating 5 – 8 teams but we don’t have a minimum. We’ll only accept a team if we truly believe we can help them develop a desirable, financially sustainable and scalable company.
What does the incubator cost?
Nothing. Mix and Stir Studio will provide all the benefits listed above. In return, Mix & Stir will receive a small equity stake in each startup. We think you’ll also want to keep us around as mentors and board members once you start to grow, but we’ll leave that up to you.
Does the incubator include housing?
No, while the incubator does include access to a very cool working space, participants will need to have their own housing options in San Francisco or the surrounding area.